Get the Appraisal You Need With These Tips
Posted on Sep 30, 2021
Here’s how you can make sure the appraisal process goes smoothly.
So, you’ve been trying to sell your home, and you went under contract with a great deal. This is great! Now all you have to worry about is the appraisal. However, you have nothing to be afraid of; today I’ll share my advice for a smooth appraisal process when selling your home.
If you don’t know, whenever a buyer needs a loan, the lender will send an appraisal to make sure the house is worth the amount they’re lending. As a seller, there are some common issues you can take care of before the appraiser takes a look at your home:
1. Check for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors. These are a big deal. If an appraiser is checking out a house I’m listing, and there aren’t smoke detectors or carbon monoxide monitors, I’ll install them on the spot. You should have a smoke detector in every bedroom and most hallways.
2. Build a rapport with the appraiser. Whenever I list a home, I try to get to know the appraiser and help them with whatever they need. It’s a small detail, but a positive image could be the extra step we need to have the house appraise at our value.
“A good agent goes above and beyond to help you through an appraisal.”
3. Check your water heater. In our area, hot-water heaters need to be secured with two wide straps. If it isn’t strapped, the appraiser will have to come back later to make sure you corrected the issue. This costs the buyer extra money and causes extra headaches no one wants.
4. Utilities must be on. Especially if the buyer has an FHA loan, all your utilities must be turned on and working properly. This includes gas, electricity, water, and more.
5. Show the appraiser comparable properties. This one is up to your agent, but whenever I list a home, I always show the appraiser similar properties that have sold in the area. I’m not allowed to directly petition the appraiser, but helping them reach a favorable value is just one way I go above and beyond to help my clients.
When you work with me as your listing agent, we make sure everything goes right throughout the entire process. If you have any questions about today’s topic or anything else, please call me. I am always willing to talk.